Sunday, August 22, 2010

Fathers & Sons


Two weeks ago I was invited to go and speak at Grey College. It was a wonderful experience from the start to the finish. The headmaster Johan Volsteedt received me so well and took me on a journey of the school grounds prior to the gathering in the hall where I was to speak.

What caught my attention after a while, apart from the fantastic infrastructures in place, was that as we walked Mr Volsteedt greeted every child that passed us by name. Not just that, but after the child passed us Mr Volsteedt would tell me about the child and his parents. Wow.

After the gathering we went and had a coffee. During this time we got into one discussion where his son, Andre Volsteedt, came to mention. Then Mr Volsteedt said something that struck me, "Andre is really good at what he does!".

Later that day on my way back on the plane, those words stuck with me and I just realised something. If every father can say those words to his son and about his son, our world as we know it would be so different. We will have a healthier world by far!

What do you think and what is your experience?

1 comment:

  1. I just had a chat with a good friend of mine. A child came home with his school report. Apart from the two A's and rest B's he had one E.
    The father had such a go at the child about the E and did not even acknowledge the rest.

    What message does that child get?

    Time for parents to wake up and become aware of the impact they have on their children with each and every word that come out of your mouth!!

    What are you as parent gonna do about it?

    Or are you just blissfully going to carry on with what you know best?

    ReplyDelete