Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Choices & Consequences.....you choose!


The choices we make dictate the life we lead
-  Bill Rago, Ranaissance Man

“The Choices We Make In Life Echo In Eternity “
-          Maximus, Gladiator

I was reminded just this morning again of the impact our choices has on our life. Not just your life today, it might impact your life every day for the rest of your life. The rest of your life impact stems from one little word, ‘wonder’. Those ‘what if…’ and ‘if only I…..’ little voices that will sit on your shoulder the rest of your life.

Driven by our hurts and fears we are so quick to say no, never again. Not trying it or doing it again or giving someone another chance in whatever it might be in life. Yes, we need to apply wisdom to every situation. Yet when wisdom prevails and what you are left with is merely feelings that drive you to still say no……then you open the door for the ‘wonder’ to set in.

The thing about ‘wonder’ is that you will never get an answer with which you will be at peace. You might dampen it for a little while, only for it to return again….and again.

I had a client this morning who did not want to give his partner another chance at a relationship…..his hurt was to great he said. She died in a car accident last night. Now he is sitting with regret, the ‘if only I…’ and it is killing him! There I was, I had to help him. What do I say? For nearly three hours the only words I could muster was that ‘I do not know….’

Just like she had to live with the consequences of her decision to walk out…..now he needs to deal with the lasting consequence of not giving her another chance. Oh how in an instant your feelings can change…..from not wanting her to a willingness to give everything just to have that chance with her again.

Where does this leave us? I don’t know…..because you will still make your decision. Some of us do it by heart, other by reasoning………the consequence does not care which one you use!!!

All I know is that I do not have the answer……  

No comments:

Post a Comment